Friday 19 July 2013

Jane's Journal reviews Craft Stamper Magazine

I was delighted to have been one of 10 card makers selected to review the August edition of Craft Stamper. I occasionally buy craft/stamping magazines and I have always regarded Craft Stamper as the magazine for serious stampers. I have been given free reign as to how I review the magazine so this is my very personal opinion.


There is a free stamp on the cover, a little telephone and there are some great craft and card ideas inside as to how it can be used. The cover has a really bright summery appeal to it and vibrant colours are the theme for this issue. It is a very unique magazine as it is dedicated to all things stamping, not just card making.

There are regular features as well as projects in the index. Included in this month's projects are rainbow colours, a feature on making feathers using old book pages, a nautical themed table setting, a wire workshop and something which caught my eye...,Steam punk Romance. More about that later in this post.

All the projects have excellent clear instructions and photos, I really liked the step by step instructions.
There is also a double spread of freebies which can be won and it is useful that you can join in by post or on line. I shall certainly be putting my name in the hat.

There are a  good variety of projects in the magazine from clean and simple techniques to much more advanced ones. Every project has a "Materials" box at the end which includes the products used. The magazine is not the usual "photo book" of endless cards which some card/craft magazine are. There are whole projects to follow.
The price of £4.50 is reasonable and the quality of the paper used is very good. I am very impressed with the photography and found myself going back over many of the articles.
There is also an "Over to you" section showing artwork sent in by reader's which has been inspired by previous editions of Craft Stamper.

I decided that I would use some of the inspiration from the magazine to try a style that I have never previously used. I enjoy making backing papers using distress ink but I have never previously made a Steam punk card as I find them a little bleak/goth. However I was very
impressed by Liesbeth's Fidder's vibrant Steam punk "Romance"  project inside. It gave a softer side to steam punk. I also have not inked up some of my Lili of the Valley Pretty Vintage backgrounds yet, which are perfect for a Steam punk "romance" look. I also like the vintage feel to them.


I also liked the idea of  using book pages as featured by Gail Milburn's "Fine Feathered" article where she has used book pages for her paper feathers.










First I got inky and made some backing paper using my distress inks. This is always such fun and the end results are unique every single time. I added some Picket Fence distress ink to this sheet for the first time too.








Once the paper was dry I stamped my Lili of the Valley vintage backgrounds (Clocks and cogs sheet)  using Versafine ink in onyx black. I made a sheet of backing paper and cut off 3 smaller parts.











I also wanted to use the idea of using ripped pages from a  book. My Hb gave me an old copy of Dicken's A Tale of Two cities. I must admit ripping a page out of a book felt really odd.







I decided to make a square focal for my sentiment using some more text from the book.  I used Distress Ink to colour it yellow and then inked the edges with vintage photo as I don't have any of the
recommended Impress die inks suggested.  It worked well.  The tip I found very useful was to check which words you have visible .....it's a bit late to notice any inappropriate words when you have finished your card.








I then stamped a Birthday stamp (Lili of the Valley Statement stamps, set 43) with Versamark  and embossed with black embossing powder. I really liked the way this turned out. The embossed sheen works really well in contrast to the dull finish text.







So here is my finished card I really like the vintage feel to it too.


You will spot I have added some Frantage (I love this stuff, it is my newest buy). I have also added a couple of flourish die cuts both by Memory Box and also a fun clock face charm by The Hobby House which I bought at Ally Pally. The ribbon strip down the side of the focal is a Martha Stewart punch.

I would like to thank Craft Stamper for sending me a copy of their great magazine and if they ever want another review, especially of a Christmas edition (yes I am Mrs Christmas), I would be delighted. I am usually quite a "girlie"card maker and making a steam punk romance/vintage style card took me completely out of my comfort zone. I was really pleased with the result and I can see me using this style again for making my male cards now.

I would like to enter my card into the following card challenges;

A and T Emerald Faeries Birthdays
Visible Image Inspired by a song my song is Pink Floyd's "Time" from Dark Side of the Moon
Rhedd and Rosie's anything goes
The Hobby House Vintage I have used one of their fab clock face charms on my card.
Penny Black and More Dies and punches
Craft Room Challenge Vintage
Here come the Boys's Anything goes
4 Crafty Chicks Let's hear it for the boys
A Creative Romance No designer paper
A little bit Crafty Dying for it...use dies

I hope everyone in the UK is enjoying this wonderful summer weather. More blue skies and baking sunshine is in store for us at the weekend too....woop woop...it must be nearly Pimm's O' Clock ;0) Have a great weekend wherever you are and thanks for stopping by and for leaving all your kind comments.

Back soon,

Bye for now,

Jane x

25 comments:

  1. wow great piece, lovely methods and colours just gorgeous, thank you for joining us at the Hobby House for our 2nd challenge
    Hugs Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have done a fantastic job with your card Jane. I am a regular to the magazine and find it so good.
    x catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jane,
    gorgeous creation. love it, very effective and brilliant.
    Thank you for sharing at Penny Black and More, good luck;-))m

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous make, love all the techniques you've used, it's such fun to play, thanks for joining in Rhedd and Rosie's challenge, good luck Hun, Zoe DT xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful make jane - I love craft stamper and your review made interesting reading! Brilliant! Love the song you chose for the VI challenge too! Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review Jane! It's always good to leave your comfort zone every now and again. Just look at your great result too, I love your card! :)
    Happy weekend!
    V xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't stamp, but found your post interesting! I do love cards! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful card, Jane. Thanks for letting me know you didn't qualify for the draw at Cards for Men.

    I'm glad I got to see your card anyway.

    Donna x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello dear Jane,

    I loved your review, and even I'm not a stamper/cardmaker myself, after your article I wish I could browse though those pages! And what cracked me up was the "if they ever want another review, especially of a Christmas edition" - you sweet Mrs. Christmas!!!

    Your card is stunning, and something new once again. There's no limit to your talent, really...

    Have a lovely weekend, and kiss that Billy-boy for me again, thank you!

    Yours,
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous card, love the colours and layout.

    Thank you for coming over and joining in with us on our 11th Challenge at Rhedd & Rosies Challenge Blog.

    Great Big Huge Hugs

    Becca xxx (DT member Rhedd & Rosie Challenge Blog)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jane.
    I enjoyed reading your review of the craft stamper magazine even though I do not do much inking myself. I was enthralled with it and the photo's of the beautiful card you made. The layout is lovely and I like all the little die cuts you managed to incorparate on the front.
    Thank you for sharing your card and joining in with our challenge at Penny Black and More. I cannot wait for your next entry.

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful, I love it, good luck in the 'Inspired by a song' at Visible Image :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG this is totally stunning. Thank you for joining us at Here Comes The Boys Challenge. Hugs! MOjca

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great "For The Boys" card! Thanks for joining us this week at 4 Crafty Chicks!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for playing our "Here it for the Boys" Challenge at 4 Crafty Chicks, great job!

    Leanne DT!
    4 Crafty Chicks

    ReplyDelete
  16. yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no pink :) wonder how long it will last ?
    enjoy the day
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for entering this fab project in the Rhedd and Rosies challenge, good luck! Wendy DT xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Jane,

    Sorry I've been such a bad blogger the last few weeks and hands up and admit this is mostly copy and paste, but just wanted to thank you for your visits whilst I have been poorly and say hello, hopefully when we return from holiday I will back to normal - whatever that is !

    And thanks for joining in at PB&M.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  19. fantastic work! I really love it! Many thanks for entering the Rhedd and Rosie's Challenge and good luck! Melissa (DT) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful! I can understand your feelings about ripping a page out of the book, but the end result is wonderful. Liked your last post too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. its stunning,thanks for joining in the challenge at Visible image x

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your card, Jane! I love this style, and you have used the materials so well. Thanks for a great magazine review too.....another one to add to my list ;)
    Have a lovely week.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Stunning embossing, I love the clock, texture, colors, layout. It is a very awesome masculine card. Thank you so much for sharing your amazing creation with us at 4 Crafty Chicks.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Jane, I'm a bit behind in commenting. Enjoyed reading your review. It sounds like an interesting magazine.
    Truly loved every bit of Christmas in July. Thank you for sharing all of your goodies. How fun to meet the designer who made your necklace and M's cuff links.

    I love Christmas---keep on making more cards, please!!

    Happy almost August,
    Anne and all
    PlumCreek Studio

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is amazing, I love love love it. there is not one single part that I could say I favour, I love it all ! thank you for joining us at Rhedd and Rosies. Hugs Tina (DT) xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I really enjoy reading every single one of them.

To comply with the new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) May 2018 I wish to state that any comments left here are with your consent that your name & comment are visible to anyone who visits my blog and that you accept that your personal information is being used for that specific purpose.

Jane x