Tuesday 4 August 2015

Crafting with Wendy Vecchi

I had the most amazing day on Sunday in London attending none other than the uber talented Wendy Vecchi's Make Art in England workshop. For my non "art" blog friends Wendy is a Ranger designer and colleague of Tim Holtz and this was her first visit to England. I booked this workshop so long ago and could hardly believe it finally arrived. It was the most amazing sunny hot day in London and we were grateful for the air conditioning in the hotel conference room which served as the workshop for the day. Wendy was very patient having photos taken with everyone .............including me.

As well as being uber talented Wendy is such a sweet kind person and a great teacher. The project she had designed for us to made was an art box to contain 4 tags which would also be made during the day. This is Wendy showing the blank box on her left and her finished version. She had used brown tones for her sample.


We spent the morning embossing, inking and stencilling our own boxes. We were able to choose our own choice of colours.
These were the finished pieces. Wendy put them all on display to show how different things turn out.
It was great to see how plain boxes turn out so differently ,so many colour variations.
This is mine......I went for green and browns for the base colours.
 and here is  the top once I had inked up and glued on the flower decoration.
These tags are the 4 originals made by Wendy as her samples to demonstrate the various techniques. Interestingly she cuts the ends off her tags to make them less rectangular, I really think it works well.
It was so lovely to catch up with new and old blogging friends. Brenda, in the middle, who kindly sent me the next 3 photos. as my camera battery died before the end of the day and Suse with me.
Julie of Juliz Designs who I met for the first time
We were all kept very busy but lots of time for chat ;0) 
Lots of concentration going on here. Below are some of the ladies from Brenda's AVJ design team.

 Wendy gave us all a little button as a keepsake.....I will treasure this...


So here are my finished pieces with my own interpretations and add ons.  Wendy says she is always delighted to see how her ideas get translated into so many different ways. 

I love the rich colours on my box, I'm really glad I went for green as the base. Lots of stenciling and blending with archival inks. The gold embossing paste gives such a gorgeous shine.

On the top I added dots from a stamp and red to the flower pieces...it reminds me of a strawberry. 
and here are my tags 
Tag 1. I used blues and brown to make a distress ink background. I added a couple of stencils to the background. Wendy gave us the faux granite cup and saucer die pieces to which we added the white "dots". The little tea spoon was awesome. I also added some remnant rubs.
Tag 2. We were given this brilliant rose stamp and cut out and layered it for dimension. My version of this tag is quite different to Wendy's original. I used blue and red archival  ink and rubbing alcohol to make the background.

 Tag 3. The tree is a stencil, I love this and it's on my wish list. The little shed, door, flower and bird were put on tape to raise and layer.
Tag 4. Using Wendy's art parts. The background is distress inks.  I added a daisy stamp to the glove and added a pop of red too.

and one Arty shot of them all together
I would like to enter my box and tags (if they are allowed) into the following challenges;

Rhedd's Creative Sprit anything altered goes I am entering my altered box
Frilly and Funkie thing with wings my tags have plenty of wings!
Artistic stamper anything goes
Mixed Media World stencils there are lots here including the great small cross one I used on the box. Wendy also showed a great technique off setting the stencil and adding colours in tag 3 at the bottom.
Fussy and Fancy things with wings
Penny Black and More summer flowers
Try it on Tuesdays use stencils I lots and one if my favourites is the tree stencil...it's on my wish list
Papertake weekly anything goes
Love to Create anything goes mixed media


Thanks for stopping by. I am truly blessed by the friendships I have made via blogging. The crafting day "Making Art" with Wendy is a day I really treasure. I loved what we made but if I had to choose a favourite it was the actual box and tag 1...how cute is that cup, saucer and tea spoon! Thanks to Wendy and her team.....she really did  inspire me to "Make Art".

Back on Thursday with my final GDT piece for Noor...

Bye for now,

Jane x

32 comments:

  1. What a fun time you all had! There is nothing more fun that a group of women working on projects together. The camaraderie is off the charts! Your box and tag turned out fabooo! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a wonderful time and did a great project

    Thank you for joining us at Try it on Tuesday


    Love Chrissie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous time you had, Jane and such a wonderful project to treasure! Love the little box and tags featuring such wonderful techniques and lovely details, taught by such a known name in the crafting world! There's nothing like getting a room full of women crafting and chatting about our common obsession! Hugs, Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are not long home from London, it was a super memorable day and so lovely to finally meet you Jane and our other blog friends. A treasured day.
    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well that all looked like a of fun! Your box is beautiful and your tags and I agree the little teaspoon is so lovely! Workshops are brilliant, all that time to play without being distracted by 'stuff' and along with crafty like-minded people.
    So glad you had a fun time. :)
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  6. amazing makes Jane - I bet you had such fun! Wish I could have been there! Brilliant! Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks so much for attending! many thanks too for the awesome blog post.
    take care & make art!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my Jane what fun! Looks like a wonderful group of ladies and so much talent!! Love your box and tags, so well done! I think workshops are such fun and a great way to meet like minded people!
    xoxoRobin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello dear Jane,
    What a treat! I love your box and tags!
    Thanks for including so many pictures.
    I really enjoyed them all!
    Greetings from the Baltic sea
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely box and tags you've made Jane. You must be over the moon with your makes. I enjoyed reading all about the wonderful day you had in your workshop with Wendy, Lucky you! Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic boxes Jane, looks like you had a wonderful time at this class!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks like a fab workshop and all your makes are beautiful. Love the little gift Wendy gave you all too.
    Thanks for sharing with us at Penny Black & More.
    Lynn x

    ReplyDelete
  13. your make is absolutely stunning. Love the colors and effect. Lucky you to be crafting with Wendy. Thank you for sharing with us over at Rhedd's Creative Spirit this month and hope to see you again in future challenges.

    Handcrafted by Ellapu
    Mother Hen for Altered Eclectics
    Mother Hen for Eclectic Ellapu
    DT Rhedd's Creative Spirit
    DT The Mirror Crack'd
    DT Anything but a Card

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I bet that was a fun, fun time! I really enjoyed reading your post and your box is gorgeous! Love all those tags, too! I think I would have been too much visiting and not enough creating!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic projects! Thank you for joining all this with us at TIOT's!
    oxo
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful, inspiring time you had, Jane...and such marvellous makes!
    Happy August!
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fantastic day and box you have made, stunning and great post..Thank you for joining us at Fussy and Fancy Friday. Good luck in draw..Hugs Lozzy xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow Jane, how lucky are you!! Looks like you had a wonderful time and you sure made some gorgeous pieces! It's so nice to be able to see what you look like, I was pretty sure Jane's Journal wasn't being written by a cat on a roof! haha!

    Thank you so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie for our 'Things with Wings' challenge and for joining us at Try It On Tuesday for our 'Use a Stencil' challenge! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lucky girl!! thanks for sharing your fabulous day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like you all had a fantastic day! Your projects turned out brilliantly!! Great photos too!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great post Jane and fab photos of all your Make Art pieces. It was such a brilliant day and good to catch up with you again xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. It was such a great day Jane and you have captured it well in this amazing post.

    Tfs Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a cool and tough and great box ! I love it ! I love the colors too. Really great ! :)
    Thanks for playing with us at Fussy and Fancy ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such artistic creations, Jane. Loving them all. Beautifully done! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Penny Black and More!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks like a wonderful day. Love your box and tags!! Here's to more crafting and workshops.
    Anne D.T. xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looks really fun to work on the same thing and see so many lovely outcomes! Love yours so much! Thanks for sharing with us at Rhedd's Creative Spirit this month! Nanette, DT

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow! What a fun day you must have had Jane! Thanks for sharing it with us and joining in the challenge at The Artisitic Stamper

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your art is beautiful! It sounds like you had a wonderful and creative day. Thanks so much for joining us at The Frilly and Funkie Challenge Blog!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  29. This looks incredible! I love that box and your tags are just...AMAZING! xx
    Thanks for entering over at Frilly and Funkie xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. What great pictures of you all and what a wonderful project you made with Wendy! Love all the tags and that super box!! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. A joy to finally meet up with you Jane! Wasn't it such a fantastic day. I LOVE what you did with your box and tags. Thank you for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a fabulous day and a brilliant project thank you for entering it into the Artistic Stamper Challenge blog. Dee x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I really enjoy reading every single one of them.

To comply with the new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) May 2018 I wish to state that any comments left here are with your consent that your name & comment are visible to anyone who visits my blog and that you accept that your personal information is being used for that specific purpose.

Jane x