Wednesday 18 December 2013

Christmas Crackers 2013

I have finally got my Christmas crackers made, with just one week to go before the Big Day. As my oldest blogging friends know I make my own crackers every year from scratch. A few years ago I wrote a tutorial, which if you would like to have a go, is here. Crackers are such a British tradition and I am surprised that lots of my blogging friends abroad have never seen them. They were invented by Tom Smith in England in 1847 and the firm still exists today and still makes the majority of Christmas Crackers sold every year.

I knew that I wanted to use my wonderful Vintage Santa images from Nicecrane Designs for this year's set. I also wanted to make this a GD post for Ignacio. They are just the perfect images to use...they are ready coloured sheets ACEO size but I reduced them on my computer. I used the Mega Vintage Santa set available here. They are available in single sheets but the set is a real bargain. I also wanted to use red and green crepe paper and found some tree design wrapping paper for the centre of the crackers.

People often ask me what I put inside; I can't give away any secrets from this year but in the past I have put in hand creams, lip balms, small handmade jewellery items, Lotto tickets, sweets etc. I also use a kitchen roll for the inside tubing as this is slightly fatter in diameter than toilet rolls and gives you more choice of the gifts which fit inside. The jokes always make me smile as I slip them inside with a paper hat and the banger.


So without further delay here are a selection of them;
as well as a few close up showing the wonderful Vintage Nicecrane images...
I stamped some LOTV Christmas tags onto red, green and Kraft card, which I added to each cracker


I would like to enter my crackers into the following challenges;

Crafting for all season's anything Christmas but a card
County View Crafts Bah, Humbug!
The Inky Chicks Christmas
Crafty Catz Merry Christmas
Sweet Stampin Last minute Christmas
Pile it on P is for ......presents 
The Cupboard Trilogy Christmas
Love to Create anything goes
Make it Monday linky party #171
Loves Rubberstamps anything goes
Addicted to stamps and more anything goes
Bearly Mine anything goes
Polkadoodles anything goes
Little Claire's Designs make a gift
Whimsy stamps party time

Now that the crackers are made I just have one more of my Funkie Junkie challenge cards to make and that will be the end of my crafting until the Christmas break as I need to concentrate on getting those gifts wrapped and the food sorted for the Big Day. There are only 6 of us this year for dinner as my daughter is at her In-Laws this year so I will have to wait until Boxing day to see my Daisy Jane. We had a wonderful weekend with them and as I know how much you all love seeing photos here is my darling granddaughter...as photographed by my darling daughter...;0)



Yes at the grand age of 5 weeks she is smiling, cooing and reaching out...I just adore this sweetheart...and she now weighs 9lbs ;0)

Back soon,

Bye for now,

Jane x


29 comments:

  1. Now I wonder what's inside those gorgeous crackers. They look amazing Jane, the images are lovely. :)
    Just look at those cute little feet, goodness I can't believe she is five weeks old, time really does fly!!
    Happy Wednesday my friend,
    V xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE these crackers - I always say that I am going to make some but never do - these are so festive and thanks so much for joining us this time at the Pile it On Challenge, Elizabeth (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Jane,,,,,what a vibrant colors and so bright ones,,,,,Really it is first time I have heard about carckers,,,,,but it sound so funny to do,,,,,,swo elegant,,,,and all over they look great,,,,,,with my Christmas picts,,,,,,,You are Rock,,,,Jane,,,, I am going to google to know more about crackers,, and all voer to read your Tuto.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there sweet Jane, I just love your crackers, BUT they don't compare to the sweetness and huggable, adorable Daisy. I just want to eat her up too! Oh and her tiny feet! Babies are the best!
    What a precious smile, makes everything alright!
    xoRobin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool crackers and totally CUTE baby!!!! Thanks so much for participating in our PILE IT ON challenge!! Hope to see you again for our next challenge!!
    ~DEANNE~
    A Little Bit O' Paper

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all Jane ....what absolutely wonderful photos of your grand-daughter .... isn't she gorgeous....how lovely.....feeties and all :-)

    It is typically English,isn't it? The crackers I mean and also I thought as much.That they originate in the Uk that is. I introduced some crackers into my last adults class last Saturday. They had never seen any before. They weren't very good I bought them from the local British supermarket but my students enjoyed them accompanied by some typical English carols. I have never thought about making my own but if I could make them as lovely as yours I'd have a go! In fact I'm going to pop over to your tutorial now.

    keep well

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. super crackers Jane and daisy really is growing fast xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful xmas project. I too like to make crackers with my mum when we have xmas together. Thanks for sharing at ATSM xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful Christmas Crackers - love the images you used too! Thanks for joining us at Polka Doodles this week. Karon, DT Polka Doodles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jane, I am fascinated by your crackers and have seen them here occasionally.. so next time I do.. I'm going to buy some. Now, questions, do they make a cracking sound when you open them? How do you open them? How did they get that name?

    Oh dear.. those feet are so cute I want to smooch them! Tickle, tickle..

    ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉
    *M*E*R*R*Y* *C*H*R*I*S*T*M*A*S*!*
    ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉

    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the crackers- how fab! Oh My- what an adorable baby- and love the pic of her feet! Saw you on MIM- here for a closer look : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. fab crackers Jane and oh I am a little feet person so the photo of the tooties did make me smile
    Hugs Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. The crackers are Awesome! I wish I would have thought to do this earlier. Maybe I still have time! Thank You for the inspiration. We at Loves Rubber Stamps, are so super excited to have you join us during our Holiday Blitz! We wish you Luck and a Merry Christmas! Tons of Hugs, Dangina

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Dear Jane,

    I'm so happy you posted your recipe for Crackers!
    Your homemade version is the best I've ever seen!
    As always, you are such a big inspiration and I thank you for the tutorial which I shall keep in the hope of trying someday...

    Love the precious pictures of Daisy!

    Cheers~

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jane! Your crackers are amazing! You have done so beautiful and detailed work with them! Just adorable - as those 'unstepped' little feet! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous project and such a great idea. I saw this on MIM and just had to pop over to have a closer look. Cute granddaughter ;)
    Hugs, Vilinke

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great 'last minute' Christmas project and perfect for our challenge this week. Thank you for sharing and joining in with the fun at Sweet Stampin’ this week and good luck. PS Your new granddaughter is beautiful, such a cutie. Hugs Janine xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous crackers! I bought a kit years ago for the boys to make from Marks. Think it's still in the craft box!

    And even more gorgeous grand-daughter.

    Thanks for sharing at Love to Create this time.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  19. These crackers are great - super idea.Thanks for entering these for CHNC challenge 155 - you could also enter these into my CHNC challenge extra for December - I'd love to see them there too. x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous crackers to adorn your festive table and Daisy is certainly growing fast. Gorgeous photos of her.
    hugs {brenda} x0x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Jane, I'm a longtime reader and I always enjoy seeing your crackers. They just get better and better. I like the tree wrapping paper this year.
    Time is flying……
    Cute little feet!!
    Happy weekend,

    Anne and all
    PlumCreek22

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fab crackers Jane, I thought of you when I cheated and used my cracker kit! Such a nice little feet photo, love that idea for a photo of a little one (and such a cute on too!). Bethx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this idea Jane, your crackers are wonderful and so festive! Thanks for joining us at Make It Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What great crackers. They look fabulous. Thank you for joining us over at Crafty Catz. Hugs Nina

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gorgeous little girl {love those sweet little feet} and super fun project you have shared with us this week. So nice to see items being recycled!!! Thanks for joining in the fun this week at Addicted to Stamps and More, we sure hope to see you back again soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you for joining our "Christmas, anything but a card" challenge at CFAS with your fabulous crackers. Best wishes for 2014 and good luck. Carol DT x
    PS your grand daughter is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  27. love your crackers and adorable little baby!
    Thanks for playing along in our Holiday Blitz challenge at Loves Rubberstamps

    ReplyDelete
  28. love your crackers, Im sure you have made many happy with them!

    Thanks for playing at Crafting For All Seasons this time!
    Have a wonderful new year.

    Hugs,

    Milnie DT

    Ps. Your granddaughter is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gorgeous Christmas crackers and thank you for joining us at Little Claire's this month and good luck :)
    hugs and xxx
    Gemma

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I really enjoy reading every single one of them.

To comply with the new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) May 2018 I wish to state that any comments left here are with your consent that your name & comment are visible to anyone who visits my blog and that you accept that your personal information is being used for that specific purpose.

Jane x